10.10.2010

...Nations Revere


After all these years, you'd think I'd learn to locate my glasses before I take out my contacts. But alas, time after time I find myself down on my knees, feeling my way around the floor/dresser/table searching for my glasses with my hands because I've left myself blind.


This happened tonight, after a long, Spirit-filled, emotional day. I spent the morning with my sweetheart improving our adoption profile as a part of our special fast to be lead to our baby's birth mother. Then we attended church and spent time with our sweet primary children who melted my heart and made me yearn for children of my own even more. And then we spent the evening at the Mesa Temple Visitors Center with a sweet teenager who finds herself pregnant and unmarried. As we walked through the Visitors Center with this young woman and saw examples of families complete with mothers, fathers, and children lining the walls and the halls, it was hard not to ache inside.

And then we came home, and I had a few minutes to contemplate the blessings of this day, along with the things I need to improve on. After a few minutes of hands-and-knee searching for my glasses, I finally found them and I had a sweet moment of realization. Our Heavenly Father has given us so many things to help us see; the scriptures, living prophets, temples, church leaders, church programs, and the list could go on. But when we stop using the gifts He's given us, without replacing them with other good gifts, we're left as blind as I am without my glasses on. Too often I take my spiritual contacts out without already having my spiritual glasses in hand, ready to put on as to not be left blind even for a moment.

My goal for this week is to never lose my spiritual eye sight. I will commit to knowing where those seeing gifts can be found at all times so that I will never walk blindly through this life. There truly is no reason that we ever have to walk blindly. Heavenly Father knows us, and He remembers us, and that is evident each and every time I forget to find my glasses before I take out my contacts and I some how always find my glasses anyway.

11 comments:

Chantz H. Davis said...

Ash my dear.... you are a deep thinker! WOW!

Tunes & Spoons said...

Thank you very much for this. I needed this today. I have been thinking about the same things recently. Can I start praying for your baby's mirth mom too? We really do think about you guys and hope you will be lead to the right people and the right place. Love you, even though we haven't met!

Blake and Martha said...

You never cease to amaze me Ash :) Hang in there

Mamma Martin said...

I needed this today! Thanks, sis!!

Whitney Lee Slade said...

Ash, this is my most favorite post i've ever read of yours... thank you so much for this. I needed this at this time.. and.. I am praying for you and baby also. Thank you for what you do ashy!

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

So. Beautiful.

Van Dusen's said...

Thank you for sharing this. It was perfect and well said.

Anonymous said...

you are amazing, ashlee.

Tyrell Berner said...

So..... I just have to tell you... I had a dream last night that I was reading this post and there were 55 comments and I was so unbelievably jealous and I kept trying to figure out why I never 55comments.

Maybe I had the dream because your post deserves 55 comments because its so good!

Laura Lofgreen said...

I love this picture of you.

Unknown said...

Ashley I know how you feel to be in a room full of cute adorable primary children and long for children of your own. It's not easy but having someone who is feeling the same thing is helpful. Thanks for your inspirational words. I love to read your blog your amazing!